How to: Fix a Bricked Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8
Over the weekend just gone, I suffered a failure on my Lumia 920. The phone was bricked as a result of a reset gone wrong and I didn’t know what to do. Luckily there are tools available to allow you to reflash your phone so an hour or so later I had a working Lumia 920 again.
Here’s how to recover your Lumia 920 if it’s been bricked. (Note, this requires Windows OS – for Mac users, you’re out of luck.)
I used the following guide (originally on WPCentral and posted on WMPowerUser) but had to make a few changes which I’ve highlighted in red. The firmware file might be different for your device – the easiest thing to do is to check the product code on your Lumia to see exactly which firmware you should be downloading (if you download the wrong file, you’ll still be able to flash it but will need to accept the prompt from Nokia Care Suite.)
The links below have been updated with working links (all the links are external and we can’t be held responsible for any malicious content):
Download the following files:
Unzip NaviFirm to a directory of your choice.
1. Run NaviFirmPlus executable
2. Under Products window scroll down to Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-821).
3. Under Releases window choose 1231.2109.1242.1001
4. Under Variants window choose your color, in my case for WHITE it was file – RM-821_CV_GB_VAR245507_v2_White (059R073).
5. Under files window make sure all the files are selected.
6. Click the Download Button
7. Wait for ALL the files to completely download, the FFU file will be 1.02GB in size.
8. When complete, browse to: C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages
9. Create a folder called Products
10. Create a folder called rm-821
11. You should now have a directory like: C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-820\
12. Browse to the NaviFirmPlus folder you extracted
13. Open the FW folder and then the folder of the firmware you downloaded.
14. Copy the entire folder contents and paste it into the C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-821\ directory.
1. Launch Nokia Care Suite (we recommend you run this as an administrator by right clicking the shortcut and selecting Run As Administrator).
2. Click the Product Support Tool for Store 5.0
3. Click File
4. Click Open Product
5. Choose RM-821 (Nokia Lumia 920)
6. On the bottom left click Programming
7. Click Recovery
8. You should see the firmware you downloaded and copied earlier under the Properties field.
9. Click Start
10. The software will check the package contents, it will fail to find the phone, and ask you to reboot and give you a button to click retry.
1. Plug the phone into your PC
2. Hold the Volume Down and the Power button, click RETRY on the Product Support Tools Window
3. After you feel a vibration in the phone immediately release the Volume Down and the Power button and hold the Volume up button.
4. Continue to hold the volume up button, you will see the software say “Rebooting”
5. After about 15 seconds you will see a top NOKIA logo and the software will start flashing the phone.
We’ve got this working on our Lumia 920. If you have any troubles, leave a comment below or get in touch and we’ll see if we can help out!